Your pet’s dental health is important. Pet dental disease can cause bad breath, cavities and tooth infections, resulting in overall reduced quality of life. Fortunately, you can care for your pet’s teeth in the comfort of your own home. Between home dental care and professional veterinary dental care, you can help your pet keep his or her teeth clean.
Methods to Manage Pet Dental At Home
There are many things you can do to manage your pet’s dental care at home, including:
- Brush your pet’s teeth. Pets need their teeth brushed once a day. Use a special pet toothbrush and toothpaste formulated for pets. Your pet will need to be trained to accept tooth brushing. If you’re unable to get your pet to cooperate for tooth brushing time, talk to your pet’s vet.
- Give your pet dental chews. Pets tend to like dental chews, and they can help keep your pet’s teeth and gums clean! Dental chews are available for sale at pet supply stores.
- Give your pet water additives. Water additives help reduce plaque and tartar on the teeth. If you’re not sure what kind of water additives to give your pet, consult with your pet’s veterinarian. You may need to try a few different brands before you find what you like best.
- Get Your Pet Dental Care from a Vet
At your pet’s veterinarian in Edmond OK, we help pets maintain good dental health with the following techniques:
- Dental cleaning and plaque removal.
- Cavity fillings.
- Tooth extractions.
We recommend that you have your pet’s teeth examined once a year by the veterinarian. During the examination, your pet’s vet will be able to determine the state of your pet’s teeth. During that time, the vet can make recommendations to get your pet care.
Contact Your Pet’s Veterinarian at White Oaks Veterinary Clinic
At White Oaks Veterinary Clinic, we help pets maintain clean teeth and gums. For a dental examination for your pet, contact us today at (405) 330-0676.