It’s time for trick-or-treaters to invade the streets of Edmond, OK as Halloween approaches. While this is a fun and exciting time for kids and parents alike, it can be stressful and even life-threatening for pets. The constant ringing of door bells, strangers coming to the house and a steady stream of shouts of “trick or treat” can cause pets to act up or sleek away to find a bed to hide under. But our veterinarian in Edmond at White Oaks Veterinary Clinic warns there may other dangers lurking in those treats. Some candy can act as a poison to pets.
Potentially Harmful Candy For Pets
Candy that is poisonous to pets include:
- Dark chocolate
- Sugar free gum
- Sugar free candy
But your family should also be reminded that it’s not just the candy that can be harmful to animals but the wrappers can be as well. Loose candy wrappers may have a smell that attracts animals to ingest them, potentially causing choking and digestive issues.
Ways to Keep your Pet from Eating Halloween Candy
One of these best ways to keep your pet from eating Halloween candy is to not participate. Since that is no fun and just isn’t practical for families with small children, here are some other tips:
- Have children pour out candy on a surface where pets can’t reach it.
- Sort and store it quickly.
- Clean up any loose candy pieces or sugar bits that may be left on the surface.
- Store candy into a secure glass or heavy plastic container. Don’t use plastic or paper bags.
- Always know where your pet is in relation to any candy.
- Keep an eye on both your children and other children so they don’t inadvertently offer your pet candy.
Looking for an Edmond Area Vet? Call us Today!
White Oaks Veterinary Clinic serves pets and their owners in Seward, Piedmont, Bethany, Meridian, Jones, and Choctaw from our offices in Edmond, OK. Contact our Edmond vet today at (405) 330-0676. If you have a question about the care of your pet, let us know! Have safe and happy Halloween from all of us at White Oaks Veterinary Clinic.